Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's

Are we in it for the magic or are we willing to follow Jesus to the cross - and die? We're either in it for the magic or the mission. At least that's what Randy Harris told us yesterday. He makes a good point, but I'm not quite so sure that it's that cut and dried...that black and white. His point was that the lady who reached out to touch the hem of Jesus' garment was only reaching for the magic and that the young synagogue ruler who asked for his daughter to be healed also had the same motive...that neither was in relationship with Jesus. I'm not sure I trust anyone who wears all black on Valentine's Day. I think an equal argument could be made that these two were desperate and reached out in a last attempt to salvage life. I've become more concerned with what happened to these recipients of miraculous powers after the shadow of Jesus had passed. We don't have those stories do we? I wish Paul Harvey had written a sequel to the miracles of Jesus ... a gospel sequel..."and now for the rest of the story". I'd prefer to think that this woman who'd been suffering from a bleeding disorder for twelve years was transformed by the healing power of our Savior ... and I believe she was. But I know too that she was human and quite possibly ... over time ... lost sight of that moment in which her life was changed. But I'd prefer to believe that also she was changed... because of Jesus. It's not an either/or situation, it's a both/and opportunity. Because of the magic - she had a mission. Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment