Tuesday, February 23, 2010

snow day revisited


There's a guy who has lived under the IH 20 bridge for the past two and a half months. I've stopped to visit with him. He did not seem a man of many words. He told me he had everything he needs. Over the past weeks he has collected a new sleeping bag, new tarp, new jacket, a plethora of Walmart bags and empty peanut butter jars, a new vest for his puppy and a pet carrying case. He's settled in. I worry about him during these cold days and nights, but he has assured me he is content. He has no need to go to a public shelter, 'cause they don't take dogs. He sleeps most of the time I drive past and only ventures out during the warm afternoons. I wonder why he's there.

I'm intrigued by the shallowness of passing conversation ... how quickly our talk turns to the weather ... our satisfaction with it or our anticipation of a change. We don't have much insight into first century Palestinian weather...only the references to storms that Jesus was able to calm or walk calmly amidst - even on the water. He did not talk much about what a nice afternoon it was to hang out on the warm side of the synagogue with the disciples or to rest in the shade of the west wall in the summer heat. He did tell us that "the Son of Man has no place to lay his head..."

I wonder if it snowed on Jesus...

No comments:

Post a Comment