Saturday, February 13, 2010

DDDD

Last evening I had the privilege of attending the Daddy/Daughter Dinner and Dance at Highland. (Yes, I know my father is turning over in his grave to think that we actually sanctioned a dance within the church building! ... guess he'll get over it) I'd never attended this event, since it did not start until just a few years ago and is intended for daughters between three and eleven. I had invited Finda to go last week. Finda is the eleven year old daughter of my friend Prince from Liberia. A week ago I did not think he would be able to attend with her, so I invited her. By the grace of God he was able to go last night and I went ... as a social interpreter?
I suspect if one researched the history of Valentine's Day one would find it's roots in the Hallmark Corporation and the Wholesale Florists of America lobby. It is not an international holiday and apparently not celebrated in Liberia. It was a blessing to watch so many fathers eating and interacting with their daughters ... something also foreign to my friend. After dinner, the dancing began ... from the 'twist' to 'the mashed potato' to some 'Hanna Montana' thing and culminating in a waltz ... I watched as Prince and Finda joined 75 other "couples". Prince interrupted one dance to call his wife and "inform her that he was dancing with his daughter!" I was the "oldest daddy" there and he was the only one with an orange sweathirt. Love it! As I watched from my seat on the flowerbed in our church atrium, I was overcome with emotion as it dawned on me that these fathers were "dancing with their daughters" in a dance that will carry them through their lifetime together. All the 'dancing' Garth Brooks songs ... "I hope you dance" ... "may I have the last dance with you?" ... suddenly began playing through my head - all at the same time.
I closed the night with a waltz with Finda - which she had never seen before - watching Prince grin as he watched us! On the way home he told me, "this evening gave me great joy! I will begin planning for next year. I must learn to dance."

...and yes, I look forward to again ... dancing with my daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment