Monday, February 22, 2010

Porcelain is my friend

Bill Cosby used to do a monologue on the results of too much partying and waking up in the middle of the night next to the toilet and reflecting on how good was the feel of the cold porcelain. I am worn out from battling an intestinal virus overnight. I think I'll live ... but it has been physically 'draining'. I don't like the feeling of arising from a night of sleep and feeling more tired than when I went to bed. On the other hand, I thought several times how wonderful to live in a climate controlled environment only steps away from that porcelain friend. I've played this game from a tent - having to quickly dress in some minimal garb and trudge down a mud filled path in the cold rain to huddle under the protection of a tree. As I lay awake last night awaiting the next episode I thought about how many in this world live with a regular occurrence of this activity ... from under an interstate bridge, in the high rise apartment of some metropolitan city where the water is turned off at night, along the streets of Bombay or Rio de Janero, or from a small hut in equatorial Ghana. I remember how blessed I am. I'll not complain. I have hope. ...and porcelain is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment