Saturday, January 30, 2010

an honored gift

Brenda is the matriarch of our church. She and her husband, Dan, have been the backbone of hospitality outreach for many years. Dan passed suddenly some eight years or so ago and is dearly missed my many. They modeled what a Christian marriage could be and were filled with servant hearts. About a week ago, Brenda approached me at church and tearfully told me that she had a request of me. It seems that many years ago a friend of theirs gave them matching "Brenda" and "Dan" coffee cups. For several years now, Brenda said, she has simply watch his cup sit on the shelf gathering dust. Would I be willing to take his cup as a gift and use it? I was deeply touched, honored, and humbled that she would share this memory with me. Now I proudly drink my coffee in the mornings from a cup that says:

Dan

From a true straight path
will never budge,
tries to live by
'God is my judge'.

I salute you Dan Chrane.

1 comment:

  1. OK pal, I am about to go into the worship service and preach, but before I do, I think that it would be nice to check out Dan's new blog to see if he posted something. Now, after reading this post, I have to try to get it together enough to speak. Thanks . . . I think.

    Garrett

    ReplyDelete