Friday, January 22, 2010

love and war

It dawned on me how ironic life is at times. The past two days have been consumed in my intervention in a family torn apart with domestic violence. As I waited on a Police officer to meet me so I could help the family move their belongings to Noah Project I realized I was going to be late to John and Staci Elredge's presentation about "the marriage of your dreams". I did make it on time and they did get moved in, but John reminded me that we are a love story in the midst of a world at war. Even though I have lived in the midst of the war this family endures, I do not understand how one can be so consumed in self preservation and misdirected pride so as to turn on those who mean the most to them. This is truly Satan's work.
So as I sat and listened to John and Staci, I felt as though he was talking directly to me. We've been blessed not to have encountered the great battles that many face in their marriage, but there is a great deal of similarity in our lives...all of us. I commented to a class on Wednesday evening that the reason we make the effort to give our testimony is that none of us walk this road alone. All of us experience very similar problems and challenges in our lives and it helps to know that others have survived...
...there is nothing new under the sun. God is with us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you started a blog! I always enjoy reading your writings. I hadn't thought about the irony of your night. I am glad that you took the time to care for a family that needs someone to lead them. I am continually amazed at the ways you and mom put your lives on hold to help someone else in a time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insight and your candor, my friend. I'll be a frequent visitor to your blog.

    Philemon 1:7

    ReplyDelete