Friday, February 18, 2011

carpe diem & skye

When I pulled up to the Kollie's house last Sunday to pick up those who were going to church, Finda came out with two of her friends - Skye and Sandrine. Skye is a frumpy twelve year old caucasian and Sandrine an eleven year old African. Sandrine said not a word, but Skye filled the silence. She immediately informed me that was not too sure about doing this 'church thing' ... oh and by the way - she was pissed at her father - "just thought I'd let you know". As the ride down South 1st progressed I was reminded as to why I do not teach middle school and was wondering why I'd not insisted that they ride with Karen (who was behind me). Then I was reminded of why she was in MY truck. Sky says, "Am I gonna have to sing? I mean I don't like singing ... especially those songs ya'll sing. I don't know them." I told her that she was not required to sing and should not feel that she had to. She then asked if we had to read from the Bible. She did not like that, because she did not know even the first page of the Bible. "All I know about the Bible is Mary, and Joseph, and Jesus. That's it." I told her that yes, we usually read scripture together, but that she should not feel obligated to participate. When we arrived at the parking lot, she was a bit intimidated by the size of the church, but off they went. After church, I saw them again and on the way home she informed me that she did sing a bit - kinda liked it - and that she did read along with the congregational reading and she did enjoy class, though she did not know what was going on because she was too busy talking and it was about Josiah or Joseph or Jacob - one of those "J" guys. She talked nonstop. But during a momentary pause, Sandrine quietly said, "It was about Joseph. Jacob was his father. He had a lot of brothers and he dreamed a bunch." "Wanna buy some girl scout cookies?" said Skye.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there I am Kristy Rodriguez that lives across the street from Arthur. I am thinking that you are the brother in law tha twe met last year at church right before we went to Europe. Am I right? Anyway Arthur told me about your blog because he knows I have been a blogger for quite some time now. I have onl read your first page and I already love reading your entries. I am going to go back and read Salvation and I loved the post about Martha....loved it!!! I am looking forward to reading more. Have a blessed sunday.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete