Friday, February 4, 2011

Cairns


Over the past several weeks I've obviously not posted comments...guess I've been "too busy" or preoccupied with other stuff that have preempted words shared. I've thought perhaps I should rename this blog as "Occasional Cairns" I know that there have been many instances in which I've become so preoccupied with simply placing one foot in front of the other that I've missed a cairn and sometimes even gotten off the trail. So perhaps I should keep my eyes on the horizon and be more aware of the occasional cairns that point the way. Those cairns have been placed there by others who have walked this way before and it's probably a good thing to pay attention to their direction and experience.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading with this first week of February [Ice Age] and one of the books that I've been impressed with is a book by Henri Nouwen - The Living Reminder. Gary Southern sent it to me - with a story (later) - but one of the passages with which I was most impressed prompted me to share it this morning.

... one of the cairns ...

I have asked many people for counsel in my own personal and professional life. The more I reflect on this, the more I realize that I experience guidance and hope, not because of any specific suggestion or advice but because of a strength far beyond their own awareness which radiated from my counselors. On the other hand, I have tried to help many people and have been increasingly surprised that I often gave strength when I least expected to and received grateful notes when I thought that I had been of no help at all. It seems that we often reveal and communicate to others the life-giving spirit without being aware of it. One of the most comforting remarks I ever heard was: “I wish you could experience yourself as I experience you. Then you would not be so depressed.” The great mystery of ministry is that while we ourselves are overwhelmed by our own weaknesses and limitations, we can still be so transparent that the Spirit of GOD, the divine counselor, can shine through us and bring light to others.

1 comment:

  1. “I wish you could experience yourself as I experience you. Then you would not be so depressed.”, WOW!! what a statement!

    Thank you for being who you are, we all are so blessed to have you as friend and a father!

    Love you,
    son

    ReplyDelete