Thursday, February 17, 2011

All things to all men

There is a business beside the road in Abiquiu, New Mexico that on first observation appears to be a gas station, but when you walk in you come to realize that it is also the local cafe, the post office, general store, bakery, feed store, and hardware and souvenir store. It probably functions in other capacities as well. Most of the residents walk to this establishment and on times I've noted, usually dawdle to visit with a neighbor and may even be joined by them on their quest to mail a letter and pick up onions and cabbage.

The business in the photograph is in Denton, Texas. The sign and the name of the establishment caught my eye and intrigued me. As I thought about reflecting this morning, I was flooded with ideas of the activities and plans that occupy my thoughts and just was overwhelmed with comments ... to the point that I had none. I thought ... "better to not write than to write something superficial" but then a memory of this photo came to me and I began to think ... when our church buildings have signage that specifically point out that "this is a church" ... that tends to limit who comes in. And when we further limit entry (intentional or otherwise) to advertise that this church is of 'such and such' denomination - we limit entry even further.

So what if we pried off the "Highland Church of Christ" sign and replaced it with Mabel Peabody's Beauty Parlor and Chainsaw Repair Nite Club and Spiritual Formation? I bet we'd have a lot more fun! And a lot more people! Bet GOD would like that!

Maybe I shouldn't think out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment