Saturday, March 13, 2010

I've been listening to David McQueen's series 'Paranormal' in which he discusses the working of the Holy Spirit. It's been challenging to say the least. Read an article from my friend Jim Clark yesterday in which he reminded me to "be filled with the Spirit". That's twice in a week I've heard that command.
What prompted my writing today was the sad thought of those who have had their joy stolen from their heart. I looked at the endless rows of makeshift tent shelters in Port-au-Prince and wondered how much joy there is in that community, but then a video clip on the news showed children singing "I've got the joy, joy,joy, joy down in my heart!" On the other hand I watch as some I know follow the drudgery of their job day in and day out. They are tired when they rise in the morning. There is no fulfillment in their day or in their relationships with others. They often give little of themselves and therefore receive little from others. In short, their joy has been stolen. Someone slipped in when they were not looking. It's easy to allow ... just not paying attention... and little by little over time ... the joy just leaks out - like the helium in a balloon. Deflated and robbed of that joy they once knew, they float through life with the expectation that 'this is as good as it gets'.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control ..." somehow I'm thinking this is not a multiple choice option. I think when one is filled with the Spirit you get it all. And if you've been robbed of the joy in your life...the thief probably got the other stuff too!
"Be filled with the Spirit..."

No comments:

Post a Comment