Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Who Has Seen the Wind?



Who Has Seen the Wind?

BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

I remember this poem from my preschool youth. Mom used to read to me from a tattered red book, called "A Child's Garden of Verses". Why do I remember that? I awoke early this morning - at 4:00 AM - I do that more often these days. I felt rested when I awoke, but was probably awakened by the wind. I've been reading Jeremiah and welcomed the opportunity to take time to read this morning. Two things struck me this morning:

Jeremiah 10:12-13

12 But God made the earth by his power;
he founded the world by his wisdom
and stretched out the heavens by his understanding.
13 When he thunders, the waters in the heavens roar;
he makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth.
He sends lightning with the rain
and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

He certainly must have big storehouses, 'cause this morning he's turned it all loose. The other verse of significance was also from chapter 10 - Jeremiah's prayer. I wonder how literally we read scripture and wonder how sometimes we have sort of 'glossed over' difficult passages as we have relegated their meaning to another time and another people. Perhaps we should read the scripture more often ... perhaps it would have more meaning in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment