Thursday, September 16, 2010

Morning sky

This morning I sat out behind the house in the dark of the morning and watched and listened as the day prepared itself. I hear the rooster crow every morning and every morning I think of Peter and his apocalyptic rooster... a gentle reminder. But what struck me this morning was that as I gazed at the darkness of the sky that still has not begun to change to morning light, I'm able to see soooooo many stars ... and yet I know I'm only seeing the tip of the celestial iceberg. Ancient legend told that there was a vast darkness surrounding us and that those points of light were distant 'holes' through which flowed the light of heaven. I like that analogy, but know better from an astronomical perspective. But as I gazed out into the darkness this morning, I thought ... there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches of this earth. "What is man, that you are mindful of him?" said Job. And I thought that my perspective would be somewhat similar to an observation post from 35,000 feet deep - buried under the darkness of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean - and looking up into absolute darkness and wondering about the magnitude of the oceans - and somehow I make a difference to the one who conceived it all! I'll have a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment